Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Dear Brooks . . . from your daddy



Dear Brooks,

I just experienced my 1st Father’s Day, and wanted to write you a short letter to let you know what you mean to your daddy.

I always wondered what it would feel like when I became a dad, and I can honestly tell you that all my expectations pale in comparison for what I truly feel. When I look at your chubby cheeks, your perfect lips (thank your mother for those), and your inquisitive eyes – I can’t quite remember what my life was like before you came along. You are only 3 months old now, but you already have a tight grip on your daddy’s heart.

As you learn to crawl, walk, & talk – I will also be learning. I will be learning how to be a dad to you. And just as you will sometimes fall, I’m sure that I will make mistakes, but I promise you I will always try my best. I understand that being a dad is too big of a job to take on by myself, so I promise you that I will daily look to the Lord to give me the wisdom it will take to succeed at the greatest job ever.

Brooks, I want you to know that there is one thing that will never change about your daddy. I will always love your mom with all of my heart, and there is no person on this earth that is more important to me than her. My love for your mom will never fail because it is not based on feelings that can go up & down, but instead it is grounded on a commitment that we made to each other, before God, on June 2nd, 2001. And because of this, you can be secure in knowing that mommy & daddy will always be together.

I look forward to when we can play catch together in the backyard, but I don’t want you to grow up too fast. I will savor every stage of your life because I know we can never turn back the clock. I love you Brooks, and will always be there for you.

Love,
Dad

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

AHH...babe, that's the sweetest, most precious letter! I am so incredibly blessed and thankful for you and Brooks. I knew you would be the most wonderful daddy -from the moment I met you. And I couldn't ever ask for a better, more loving, faithful, attentive, life companion than you! You are one of a kind and I will never let you go! Love you, love you, love you, Your Forever Girl

The Lavish Life of Gus said...

Made me tear up a bit... such a sweet letter Matt.

Unknown said...

You have a beatiful family, I'm Very proud of u!