Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Miller & Sons Construction Co.

Hello everyone - Matt here. I have decided to make a guest appearance writing about a recent adventure. I'm sure many of you watch HGTV and all of their home remodeling shows. They are fun to watch, but can also be quite dangerous. How are they dangerous, you may ask. I'll tell you. Here's a completely hypothetical conversation that may take place:

Amanda: Our kitchen floor is ugly
me: looks fine to me
Amanda: On HGTV they re-do floors all the time, and it's really pretty easy. We should do that.
me: I'm not much of a handy man.
Amanda: Ahh babe, you're the best. Bob Villa's got nothing on you!

And so my adventure began. Step #1 is getting dad on the phone to see if he wants to help. Sure, neither of us had ever laid flooring, but I did watch a 3 minute how-to video on YouTube. So dad willingly made the trek down to Cincy to help his home improvement challenged son put in a new kitchen floor. On our way back from Lowe's (1st trip), I asked dad how long he thought it would take. (for those that don't know, our kitchen is only about 100 square feet) It was about 4:00 at that time, and he said "I would love to be done by 10:00 tonight." I laughed of course - no way would it take us till 10:00!! No need to give details, but 10:00 came and went, Saturday morning came and went, lunch at Skyline Chili (Cincinnati tradition) came and went - and finally dad was on his way home around 7:00 Saturday night. So although we weren't the speediest crew, the finished product looks great. Thanks so much pops for your help, Amanda and I appreciate it!

And for anyone who would like to hire us, we would love to - but we charge by the hour. :)



Dad working hard, me taking a picture



Hey ladies, for an extra fee - we will work topless

The Finished Product









8 comments:

The Blissfully Happy Housewife said...

Looks AWESOME Matt!!! And you two studs look pretty good yourselves!!! Ha!!!

Miss you two and looking forward to seeing you soon!

Jamie

The Miller's said...

You might need to run the topless part by me first, babe. :) So don't get your hopes up ladies. You guys did a great job! I love it! Now, moving on to the bathroom floors??

Anonymous said...

The Miller-Men at their finest!!! No project is too big or too small... they (the amazing Miller-Men) can do it all!!!

The Bontragers said...

Wow, that is CLASS-y (the floor I mean :) Thanks for posting about this because I've been wondering how it turned out! (and I love that I can blow up the bottom picture and see the cabinet handles too :)

Gotta say, great job Bob & Matt! And how are you at laying tile?

Anonymous said...

That is too funny....that is how all of our remodeling projects go! Much more time is always needed for one reason or another!

You guys did a great job and it looks GREAT!

Kristen

Ryan Miller said...

Matt, I feel your pain. I've had the exact same conversation many times in our home. Thanks to those conversations our house now has a new office, laminate office floors, a fireplace, tile in the entryway, and real wood floors in the kitchen. I always love it too when its all said and done when Jamie tells people about the project "we" just finished.

The Lavish Life of Gus said...

Looks pretty darn good boys, I'd hire you!!!

Jenna said...

I love the new floor! Let me know when you two want to come to Indy to give Rich and Jack a lesson on the floors...we want to do that in our kitchen too...however our new little one has put that on hold due to diapers and formula! UGH!!